Selecting the correct fabric for any pattern is an important part in ending up with a garment you love to wear… and is flattering! This is certainly the case with the new Laundry Day Tee. The silhouette of this tee is a swing-y style that really needs a knit with good drape. If you were to choose a fabric that is more stiff and stable you run the chance to ending up with a top that people might mistake for maternity-wear.
The fabric recommendations for the Laundry Day Tee are light to medium weight knits with at least 40% stretch such as rayon/jersey, ITY knits, modal/jersey and sweater knits. I don’t recommend most cotton/lycras, interlock or 100% cotton jersey. Those are great fabrics for the right pattern because they are easier to work with, however they just don’t have enough drape for this silhouette. Here’s a little visual my lovely testers Kelly & Sarah allowed me to use. Keep in mind the photos on the left were just fit photos for testing purposes.
What a difference, right?! I did have some testers that were successful with cotton/lycra but the key to their success was using a C/L that was of the lighter weight variety. If you’re shopping online some shops will list the ounces per yard. The optimal weight in my experience for this pattern is 7-9oz.
In addition to the weight some key words to look for are:
fluid drape, light and flowy, soft hand, 4-way stretch.
Here are a few online shops that have these types of fabrics. Many of them have newsletters and/or Facebook groups and pages where you might find a coupon code.
- Stylish Fabric. This is my personal favorite for rayon/jersey spandex solids and sweater knits. Great prices and selection as well. They call this heavyweight but I would say it’s more medium weight. This is the coral in the shirt length LDT:
- Fabric.com. This mega store has come a long way in the past year or so. Shipping times have really improved. Their Dakota Knits are perfect for the LDT. The cover photo is made with their Dakota Jersey Knit Abstract Scratch Turquoise/Black/White.
- Girl Charlee: Awesome prices and great selection. Love that they list the fabric weights. I personally stay away from anything under 7oz.
- Fabric Mart: These are closeout fabrics from designers such as Maggie London, J.Crew, etc. They have sales often, be sure to sign up for their newsletter.
- Finch Fabric: This is a new shop. I ordered from them recently and got my package in record time. Great prints that I haven’t seen anywhere else.
I’m sure there are many, many more out there but those are a few I’ve personally had experience with. I know Joann Fabrics has really stepped up their game with knits lately so you probably can find something perfect there as well.
Have you gotten your FREE Laundry Day Tee yet? Don’t forget to join the Facebook group for the coupon code and to join in the fun! I know a lot of you have already sewn up a LDT, I’ve really enjoyed seeing all your creations in the group. It makes me so happy to know the Laundry Day Tee was some of your first sewing for yourself projects!