Looking for some items to add to your wishlist? Shopping for another sewist?
Tami’s got a few gift ideas for you as you shop. Not only is Tami an established PDF sewing pattern designer with loads of patterns fit for the whole family, but she also has been outfitting her new studio with lots of items that any sewist would love.
Patterns and Sewn Gifts
This blog post is dedicated to the items any sewist would love, beyond the patterns and fabric that we all can’t get enough of. If you are looking for patterns for sewn gifts , you can shop patterns here, or you can purchase a Love Notions giftcard in any amount. (For sewn gifts, we love the Compose Robe or the Pullover Collection for Men, Ladies, or kids.)
We made Four Sewing Gift Guides
Our lists are broken down into four categories and nearly every item in these lists is something that we have personally purchased and use regularly. Some of the links use the Love Notions Amazon affiliate storefront (here) which also has the rest of our sewing book recommendations and even more sewing related items to search.
Here are the sewing gift guide categories:
- Tami’s Sewing Essentials
- Holiday Gifts for Sewing Friends
- Tami’s Sewing Splurges
- Sewing Gift Ideas to shop from Small Businesses
Let’s Jump In!
Tami’s Everyday Sewing Essentials
Tami’s Sewing Essentials Gift Guide
- The Babylock Brilliant is my favorite essential sewing machine. I love the knee lift, the stitches, the quality — everything! In fact, as we were outfitting the Love Notions Workshop for guests we bought a bunch of these to rent out. You can purchase Babylocks through a dealer (my dealers are Tammy and Jane from Thimbles Quilt Shop — they have shipped for Love Notions customers and are just so nice to work with!).
- Sewists tend to sit a lot so investing in a good chair is key! I love my bungee chair from The Container Store. This one is similar from Amazon.
- My Kai Shears are totally an essential. The cut through the thickest fabrics with ease. I have done a lot more woven patterns in the last few years and and I really have enjoyed using these. Make sure to try the professional series!
- If you are sewing with PDF patterns it is essential to have a fast, reliable printer. I have used the Brother Laser printers forEVER. I love that you so rarely have to replace ink and that it is wireless and will connect to whatever device you print from. And black and white is totally fine for printing patterns.
- Lighting is so important when sewing. I love using this Daylight Slimline lamp — and especially love that it’s pink! I have it right above my sewing machine, and even bought a few for the workshop so guests have plenty of light as well. The lamps I got clamp onto the table, but you can get all kinds from Daylight.
- I have used an Oliso Iron for years! The cool thing about this iron is that you leave it down and when you aren’t actively pressing it pops up! Shop here.
Holiday Gifts for your Sewing Friends
Holiday Gifts for your Sewing Friends Gift Guide
Throughout this past year, I have done a spotlight on my most “Loved Notions”. I think any of these would be fabulous to gift to a sewing friend, or they could even be bundled up together to make the most epic sewing gift basket!
- Wonder Clips — never enough!
- Hot Hemmer — this might be my favorite thing on this list.
- Clip N Glide Bodkin
- Point 2 Point Turner
- Bias Tape Maker – you can make bias tape by hand, or use this helpful set. Great for the Rhapsody Blouse ties or the finishing on Harmony Top.
- Thread Cutterz
- Sue Overy EZ Point and Turner. I used this a ton for turning the tubes for the Compose Robe loops.
- Fiskars Easy Change Knife – can be bottonhole cutter, seam ripper, and general craft knife. The blades are interchangeable.
- Kai Seam Remover – really cool new way to remove seams quickly.
Tami’s Sewing Splurges
Tami’s Sewing Splurges Gift Guide
These are some items that we have added to the studio this year and last year. While they are on the pricey side, they have been incredibly useful as we have established our workshop. Because we go through so many iterations of a pattern in testing, having the large format printer has been the biggest game-changer of all.
- Babylock Triumph Serger and Coverstich Machine
- Horn Sewing Table
- Horn of America Cutting Table
- Canon DSLR Camera
- Large Format Printer
Sewing Gift Ideas to shop from Small Businesses
Sewing Gift Ideas to shop from Small Businesses
- Kylie and the Machine Labels we couldn’t keep these in stock!
- Custom Pattern Weights so handy for any sewist. I love the marble ones with sewing icons.
- Gift card to your favorite pattern shop (ahem!) or your favorite online fabric shop (here is a list of fabric shops we LOVE!)
- A custom logo sign. This would make such a lovely gift idea! We had two logo signs made from them this year for the studio and absolutely recommend Skyline Laser.
- Here is a shop that can add a cute leather patch with a sweet inscription to a warm blanket.
- A clear seam gauge. I love being about to check seam allowance using the see through version. Katrinkles is another small shop I’ve loved to work with! She made a ton of these for the guests at the last retreat we held.
*Disclaimer: This post contains some Amazon affiliate links. If you want to shop my Amazon Influencer storefront for my sewing items — including the books I reference for fitting and pattern design — you can visit here.
Find a sewing gift idea you liked?
Save this sewing gift guide for later to your pinterest board — or share this post!